Imágenes de páginas

Bese two this beft z Ronco.

Taulid On the I Minde s Hosta Toulor

Unité enters

gate lvi

cult channel.

[merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

1808. the Ronco, and the third a smaller vessel than either,
May. wore, and steered with the apparent intention of

gaining the channel of Zara; out of which port, it
seems, they had been despatched the day before,
upon the very feasible enterprise of capturing the
british frigate, on a supposition that she was too
weakly manned to make an effective resistance.

As the night was likely to be clear, and the wind a difi- was moderate, captain Campbell, although the navi

gation was extremely intricate and unknown to any
person on board, determined to follow the three
brigs, trusting to the lead and a good look-out. In
this way the Unité kept sight of the vessels,
until 11 h. 30 m, P. M., when they disappeared. By
carrying a press of sail, the Unité, at a few minutes
past 3 A. M. on the 1st of June, regained a sight of
two of the brigs, distant about two miles on her lee
beam. The helm was immediately put up; but the
sails were hardly trimmed when the third brig was
observed, on the starboard tack, upon the frigate's

larboard and weather bow. The Unité immediately Cape hauled to the wind, and, passing the brig within mus

ket-shot to-leeward, gave her the larboard broadside brig.

with such effect, that she hauled down her colours

without firing a gun. Cap While the boats were proceeding to secure this

brig, the Unité crowded sail after the remaining other. two, who were making off through one of the pas

sages in the hope to get to sea. The wind falling, and
the brigs making use of their sweeps, it was not until
7 A. M. that the Unité got within gun-shot of the
sternmost; who, after receiving a few of the frigate's
broadsides, fired her broadside, struck her colours,

and ran on shore. The wind continuing to decrease, third and the remaining brig having got among a cluster escapes of small islands, the Unité shortened sail to attend

to the two that had struck. Of these, the Nettuno,
out of a crew of 115 men and boys, had seven men
killed, two drowned, and 13 wounded; and the Teulié,
out of a similar crew to her consort's, five killed
and 16 wounded. The frigate had not a man hurt.

[ocr errors]


[ocr errors]

birt Bou

the sta

tures an.

[ocr errors]
[merged small][ocr errors]


[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]



These two brigs, as well as the one captured four 1808. weeks before, were transferred to the british navy; May. the Ronco, of 334 tons, under the name of Tuscan, the Nettuno, of 344 tons, under that of Creton, and the Teulié, of 333 tons, under that of Roman.

On the 12th of May, at 9 h. 50 m. A. M., the british Am18-pounder 32-gun frigate. Amphion, captain Wil- attacks liam Hoste, being on her way from the british fleet a off Toulon to the island of Majorca, discovered a frigate frigate lying at an anchor in the bay of Rosas, and at an immediately tacked and stood towards her. This bay of was the Baleine, a french frigate-built ship of about Roses 800 tons, constructed purposely as an armed store- batteship, and mounting from 26 to 30 guns, with a crew of about 150 men. There were four or five of these ships attached to the Toulon feet. The Baleine was last from Majorca, and had, we believe, accompanied vice-admiral Ganteaume in his voyage to and from the Adriatic.

At 10 h. 10 m. A. M. the Baleine hoisted french colours, and at 10 h. 30 m., having a spring on her cable, commenced firing at the Amphion; as did also a battery of 16 long 24-pounders to the left of the town of Rosas, a battery of several heavy guns named Fort Bouton, and a low battery of eight 24-pounders Drives at the starboard entrance of the bay. This fire the Amphion returned on different tacks, while working shore. up. At ll A. M., finding the fire of the british frigate, as she closed, getting too warm, the Baleine slipped her cables, and, with her fore and mizen topsails, staysails, and jib set, ran on shore, close under the protection of Fort Bouton and the battery on the right.

At 11 h. 30 m. A. M. the Amphion shortened sail, Anand anchored with two springs in seven fathoms, and enand in-shore of the spot on which the Baleine Eagles had been riding. Having veered to a whole cable, ries. the Amphion commenced a smart fire, within pointblank shot, upon the ship, fort, and batteries. This fire they all returned, and presently cut away the Amphion's jibstay. At about 30 minutes past noon

frigate on

[ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]

1808, the latter's starboard quarter hammocks and main
May. topmast staysail caught fire by the enemy's hot shot;

and at 1 P. M. a small explosion took place in the
marine arm-chest, but fortunately injured no one.
Atlh. 30 m. the Baleine herself caught fire abaft, and
a part of her men began_leaping overboard and
swimming to the rocks. Believing that the crew
were abandoning her, captain Hoste despatched
Mr. Charles Bennett, the first lieutenant, in the jolly-
boat, to strike the ship's colours'; but, no sooner had
the lieutenant arrived near the frigate's stern, than
the french crew opened upon the boat a heavy fire
of round, grape, and musketry. The Amphion in-
stantly threw out the signal of recall, and the jolly-
boat put back. Regardless of the shower of shot
pouring around him, lieutenant Bennett stood up in
the stern-sheets; and he and his few hands


the Makes French three hearty cheers. At 2 h. 20 m. P. M., of the finding that nothing further could be done, aná bay. the wind beginning to fall, whereby she might have

a difficulty in getting beyond the reach of the
batteries, the Amphion cut her cables and springs

and made sail out of the bay.
Loss, In this spirited little affair, the Amphion received

no material damage, and had only one man killed
and a few wounded. The loss on board, 'or the
eventual fate, of the french ship we have no
means of showing. Her loss must, however, have
been serious, to induce her to take the step she did;
and that the Baleine had run herself on shore with
some effect is clear, because, at 5 P. M., she struck
yards and topmasts, and on the third day after the
action lay fast aground. It is a little singular that
the Amphion had been sent by lord Collingwood to
endeavour to capture this very ship at her anchorage
at Majorca; but, under an idea that she was a french
frigate of the largest class, captain Hoste had been
directed to take under his orders the 28-gun frigate
Hind, captain Francis William Fane, supposed to
be cruising off the spanish coast.

On the 23d of June, while the british 22-gun ship

[ocr errors]


[merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]


vessel under


Price drives

Porcupine, captain the honourable Henry Duncan, was cruising off Civita-Vecchia, a vessel under french July. colours came out of the port, and endeavoured, by Lieut. crossing the Porcupine, to get to the westward; but, Price failing in the attempt and finding no means of escape stroys a left, the vessel ran herself on shore under two towers mounting two guns each. Captain Duncan two immediately detached the boats of the Porcupine under lieutenant George Price, who effectually destroyed the vessel, without sustaining any loss, although under a very heavy fire.

On the 9th of July, at daybreak, as the Porcupine Lieut.; lay becalmed off, Monte-Circello on the coast of Romania, two french gun-boats, with a merchant convoy vessel under convoy, were observed going along- shore shore to the westward. The boats of the Porcupine, and under the orders of lieutenant Price, assisted by two second lieutenant Francis Smith, lieutenant of boats marines James Renwick, midshipmen Barry John Dango. Featherstone, Charles Adam, and John O'Brien Butler, and captain's clerk George Anderson, were immediately despatched in pursuit of the gunvessels.

After a pull of eight hours in a hot sun, lieutenant Price and his party drove the merchant vessel on shore, and compelled the two gun-boats, each of which was armed with one long 24-pounder and 30 men, to take shelter under the batteries of PortDango. At this moment, three suspicious vessels being seen coming down from the westward before a fresh breeze, the Porcupine recalled her boats, in order to go in chase; but the former, before they could be cut off, succeeded in getting into the harbour along with the gun-boats. On the

morning of the 10th, observing that a large Cuts polacre-ship, one of the three vessels which had last

6-gun entered, lay further out than the others, captain polaDuncan resolved to attempt cutting her out. Ac- from cordingly, as soon as it was dark, the Porcupine's boats, commanded as before, pulled towards the teries.

out a

the bat

Lieut. Smith de.

1808. harbour; and, although the polacre mounted six long Jury. 6-pounders, with a crew of between 20 and 30 men,

and, expecting to be attacked, had moored herself to a beach lined with french soldiers, and lay within pistol-shot of two batteries and a tower, and three gun-boats, lieutenant Price and his men boarded and carried her. The next difficulty was to bring the vessel out. Here, although in consequence of baffling winds it was an hour and 20 minutes before the prize got beyond the range of grape, the British also succeeded. In this very gallant exploit, the Porcupine had none of her men killed; but she had eight wounded, including (severely on the head and right leg) lieutenant Price, alse Mr. Butler, midshipman. For his good behaviour in this, and in several similar attacks by the Porcupine's boats, lieutenant Price was promoted to the rank of commander.

On the 21st the Porcupine drove on shore near

Monte-Circello a french polacre ship, which was afstroys terwards completely destroyed by the boats under

the command of lieutenant Francis Smith; and that tower. without any loss, although the boats were under the

fire of a tower, mounting two guns, within pistolshot of the grounded vessel.

On the 8th of August the Porcupine chased anChases other polacre ship into á harbour of the island of a po- Planosa, near Elba, which was defended by a tower ship)

and a battery. In the evening captain Duncan sent the Porcupine's two cutters and jollyboat, under the orders of lieutenant Francis Smith, accompanied by lieutenant of marines James Renwick, master's mates Henry Parry and Edward Barry, midshipman George Dawkins Lane, and captain's clerk George Anderson, to endeavour to bring out or destroy the vessel. The boats went into the harbour with muffled oars, and boarded the vessel without loss or difficulty.

The ship was now found to be moored within 30 gallant yards of a battery mounting six or eight guns, which ycuts immediately opened upon the boats a heavy fire of - ler out, round and grape. To this was soon added the

vessels under a


into Planosa,


« AnteriorContinuar »